Friday, November 15, 2013

Unicorns, Rainbows and Sparkles part one: Pillow Case

It's my granddaughters 5th birthday, and it's everything Unicorns, Rainbows and Sparkles. Check out the invite my daughter designed, which by the way, she custom designs and sells on Etsy plus many more designs. Sew time to make some gifts. I looked on Embroidery Designs.com and found a beautiful design.

Isn't it cute!

I popped the design in my embroidery machine, and away we go. At the embroidery class I attended a few weeks ago they emphasized doing a test run. Sew I used a piece of white flannel that I had left over from a previous project. Looked at it a bit and thought if this turns out good I can make a pillow case with it. The design is 3.49" x 3.83" I measured down about 7 1/2" from the top of the fabric, then folded the fabric in half width wise and then one more time to find the middle of half the fabric. Marked it with a pin and hooped the fabric with a stabilizer behind it. Started stitching. Watching where each new stitching area started even if there wasn't a color change. And marked down the stitch number of each change. Example (The outline of the hair and body of the unicorn are all one color, but I didn't want the outlines the same color.)

The stitching turned out great! I'll use it for the pillow case.

On a sewing show way back when, I watched how to make a pillow case without any raw edges. Here is how I did it.
For Christmas last year I made my granddaughter pajamas from a beautiful brown and pink flannel. I used that and a cordnating solid pink flannel. Sew I cut the brown flannel 27" (3/4 yd) and the pink 2", the white was 10". I placed the brown down salvage edges together, took the pink, folded it in half length wise, put that on top of the brown raw edges together and placed the white on top to that. Pinned them all together. Note the directions of the pins.
Then flip the top fabric (white) up and roll the bottom fabric (brown) up, flip over and bring what was the top fabric (white) to the raw edges.
The top fabric will now be around the other two fabrics.
Move your pins so that all edges are pinned together to sew. Note: white edge, two pink edges, one brown, and one more white edge.
 
 

Sew edges together, then take the brown and pull the larger piece out. Turn everything insideout.

Sorry the picture is so blurry, I was done with the project before I realize it.

Once you have pulled it through you will see that all the seams are inside!

Now for side and bottom seams. Line up the two side edges, trim so the everything is even.

The French seams. Pin wrong sides together, stitch a 1/4" seam allowance along the side and bottom of pillow case.

Trim about 1/8 off and turn wrong side out and stitch a 3/8" seam allowance on both the side and the bottom.

 

Turn right side out and your done!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment