Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sew-Along: Little French Jacket LFJ. Part I

You know the one...

 

This is sew exciting! I have joined a sew-along.

The Little French Jacket is a joint effort between Leisa from A Challenging Sew and Inna from The Wall Inna. Together they are giving step by step instructions on how to construct a classic couture Coco Chanel type jacket.

Schedule:

October 7: Muslin

October 14: Cut the fashion fabric and lining

October 21: Quilting

October 28: Machine baste the jacket together & pin the sleeves

November 4: "Real fitting", fixing problems before sewing the jacket together

November 11 - 18: Sewing the lining

November 25 - December 9: Sleeves

December 16: Adding trims, chain and hooks

December 23: Pockets

December 30: Skirt (optional)

Sew you can see I'm a little behind already. Overly enthusiastic, I rushed to my stash and found a nice piece of herringbone fabric. Then went to the fabric store and bought the pattern, muslin, lining and trim. All excited with new fabric in tow, I started reading instructions and EXACTLY what kind of fabric to buy. Oops, mistake #1 (of many I'm sure).

I should have bought a boucle or wool or silk tweed for the outer and a silk charmeuse or crape de chine for the lining. What I have is a cotton outer and poly/nylon brocade for the lining. However this is what I have and I'll work with it for now. I think the print fabric and the herringbone fabric from my stash go great together. Fun splash of color inside always makes me smile. The butterfly fabric might be pocket lining. And the trim, I already know will be exchanged for something completely different. Zippers, may be used. Not sure about that either. This will be good practice without spending a lot of money. On Saturday, while my hubby and son are at the OSU football game I am going into the big city to find the correct material.

Next, the muslin. I've never done a muslin fitting before sew this should be fun.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment